A Message From the Park
Thanks to you Elings Park has been an extraordinary public resource for three decades. In 2017 the Park distinguished itself as the stage for many of Santa Barbara’s most important charitable, cultural, athletic and community events. Your generous philanthropy was solely responsible for this achievement.
Whether dog walking; excelling on athletic fields, tracks and courts; attending a fundraiser or corporate picnic; exchanging vows; trail running or; mountain biking, Elings Park is no place to just stare at a Smartphone, it demands that visitors be present, to become active participants and often experience “face to face” encounters with your neighbors.
These images and summaries offer glimpses of the engagement the Park affords its guests, as well as, the beneficial impacts it bestows upon the community.
Castagnola Softball / Baseball Complex – Texaco Soccer Fields. Santa Barbara Rugby and Lacrosse Associations, American Youth Soccer Organization, Southern Union Soccer, when coupled with the schedules of the Elings Park’s Softball League and Santa Barbara Pony League, account for more than 7,500 hours of practice and competition.
Las Positas Tennis Courts. Annual memberships increased from 45 to 350. More than ten men’s and women’s Interclub and U.S.T.A. teams consider the Las Positas Tennis Courts their home. Hundreds of young players participated in lessons, clinics and summer camps.
BMX and Remote-Control Car Tracks. Parents and riders formed a Volunteer Committee that reopened the BMX Track for racing and riding twice each week. Jeff Elings completely redesigned and rebuilt the RC Tracks, plus recruited an individual to promote competitive events.
Wedding and Special Event Venues. Providing the perfect spot for weddings, local schools, organizations and businesses, allows the Foundation to serve Santa Barbra in a truly singular way. Besides hosting more than sixty weddings this year, the Park was the location of spectacular fundraisers for local organizations that need our partnership: Hot air balloons raised funds for Doctors Without Walls Santa Barbara Street Medicine; Summit for Danny Community Walks for the Council on Alcoholism and Drug Addiction, Mesa Business Association/ Mesa Music Nites for cross walks and public safety; Jodi House for brain injury survivors, and; the Terrain Festival for high school cross country teams.
South Park. Santa Barbara Mountain Bike Trail Volunteers groomed and maintained nine miles of trails, but, also joined forces with the Park and the Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition to begin planning for a youth program and pump track near the BMX area.
Working with the Santa Barbara Botanic Gardens, City of Santa Barbara Creeks Division, UCSB’s Cheadle Center for Biodiversity and Ecological Restoration, Channel Islands Restoration and The WriteTeam, staff is developing a comprehensive approach to restoration of the Park’s 230-acre landscape.
New and Noteworthy. In 2017 Elings Park welcomed new events and charitable organizations:
- The 63rd running of the legendary Semana Nautica 15-Kilometer Run left the streets of Goleta and moved to the challenging terrain and trails of South Park on the Fourth of July.
- Partnering with The Museum of Contemporary Art Santa Barbara MCASB) Elings Park to host Runaway, a vibrantly-colored contemporary art pavilion as part of a public art initiative takepart | makeart.
- Zermeno Dance Academy, featuring Flamenco Dancers of all ages, presented “Fiesta in the Grove” at Godric Grove to benefit a program which offers kid a chance to perform with renowned flamenco musicians.
- Floyd’s Memorial. A new attraction that will increase community awareness to prevent animal abuse. The Memorial features a garden, a statue, sculpted by Bud Bottoms; a drinking fountain; and, a ceramic tile wall created from donations by individuals who purchased tiles embellished with their dog’s paw prints.
- The BMX Volunteer Committee held the first State Qualifying Race held at the Park in five years.
Your generosity has allowed Elings Park to become one of Santa Barbara’s favorite parks; a dynamic local institution that promotes civic engagement, youth development and natural resources conservation. The Board of Directors is grateful for your support and hopes you will consider a donation
Trackback from your site.